It's Christmas!!! There is no getting away from sparkle at this time of year so here are some ways of bringing the glitter to your festive stitching:
photo by RSN Durham
1) Gold work is an embroidery technique in which metallic threads and wires are couched down to create beautifully blingy embroidery. You can easily find specialist goldwork threads online try The Golden Hinde for a brilliant selection. There are some really informative video tutorials on Sarah Homfrays site if you fancy giving it a try.
2) Why not stich yourself a sparkly star? There is a great tutorial for making the cutest stars or snowflakes on Needle'n Thread. Once I've mastered this I'm going to be stitching little stars on everything!
3) Or you could make your own glittery fabric- I can't wait to try this technique
photo by flickr user spacecurry
4) Metallic floss can be tricky to work with but Weelittlestitches share some great hints on their blog
5) Or Nue is a goldwork technique in which coloured silks are used to couch gold threads. It is very time consuming but gives stunning results so is well worth the effort. It works really well for small projects such as stitched jewellery. You can read all about Or Nue on Needle'n thread.
6) I found a really simple tutorial for adding shisha mirrors or sequins to your stitching on Joyful Abode. It's the perfect way to make your embroidery twinkle
tutorial on how to do this during the summer.
8) Finally for even more sparkle Stitch School tell us how simple it is to add beads to your embroidery- ooooohh pretty!
What are you stitching? Please share in the &Stitches Flickr group. We'd love to see it!
Post a Comment
Hi there, thank you for stopping by &Stitches. The blog is no longer updated, but you can still explore the archive of posts. Because the blog is no longer active, new comments have been disabled. Thank you for understanding. :-)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.