Thursday, November 29, 2012

Inspiration: View From My Window

&Stitches Inspiration


embroidery

Earlier this week, I came across this piece by Jantze Tullett on Flickr and was immediately struck by the lovely colors and mixture of materials and techniques she used. There's embroidery, quilting, metallics, beads, sequins, felt! And yet, the effect is not busy, but wintery and magical and absolutely charming. It only took me a few minutes to get a message to Jantze to ask her about her inspiration:

I love this time of year, when autumn turns to winter. The plants lose their leaves and the seedheads and berries begin to attract the birds. I live in a town, so my garden is my little haven of nature and I often sit and watch, and form images in my head, which eventually will make their way onto paper or fabric. This piece began life as an old linen tablecloth. I've been reading about traditional quilting, and started by filling a rectangle of linen with the softest wool fleece. I've used machine and hand stitching to quilt the layers together, adding sequins and beads to create some pattern and texture. I love the way that quilting can transform a flat piece of fabric into something so tactile and dense.

Julie is a knitter and stitcher, born in the US but now living in the UK. She loves vintage embroidery books and bad slasher movies. With her mum, Julie designs embroidery patterns inspired by literature under the name Little Dorrit & Co.

BlogShopTwitter

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jantze does beautiful work ~ thanks for sharing about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very beautiful embroidered goldfinch on a teasel that Jantze made for me, all of her work is excellent

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thank you for stopping by &Stitches. The blog is no longer updated, but you can still explore the archive of posts. Because the blog is no longer active, new comments have been disabled. Thank you for understanding. :-)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.